WhatsApp offering access to rival AI chatbots in Europe
20 May 2026
Meta Platforms has proposed a plan to provide rival artificial intelligence (AI) chatbots, including those from OpenAI, with free access to its messaging service, WhatsApp, in Europe.
The move comes as part of an effort by Mark Zuckerberg's tech and social media giant, to comply with stringent European Union (EU) regulations.
However, the company will start charging these chatbots after they cross a certain usage limit.
Meta's proposal to EU antitrust regulators
Regulatory compliance
Last week, Meta submitted its proposal to EU antitrust regulators after the European Commission said it was considering an order forcing the company to give rivals access to WhatsApp.
This would be until the conclusion of an ongoing investigation into the matter.
The details of this offer have not been made public yet. Interested parties had until May 18 to respond before a decision is made on whether or not to accept Meta's offer.
EU's commitment to maintaining competition
Market impact
The broader case highlights the EU's efforts to maintain competition in emerging digital markets by preventing Big Tech from gaining market dominance or stifling smaller competitors. The Commission said its priority is to keep the growing AI assistant market open and competitive for innovators.
Smaller rivals dismiss Meta's offer as inadequate
Rival response
Smaller rivals have expressed their dissatisfaction with Meta's proposal.
The Interaction Company of California, which created the Poke.com AI assistant, and French start-up Agentik both dismissed the offer.
They argued that it doesn't address any of the competition concerns raised in this case.
Agentik founder Jeremy Andre also said that the offer discriminates against rivals as it wouldn't apply to Meta's own AI chatbot.
-
How MLS Discovery Rights Complicate Casemiro’s Potential Move to Inter Miami

-
Rayo Vallecano players step in to support fans hit by Conference League final travel scam

-
‘I want to feel that again’ – Inside the USMNT’s 2022 World Cup journey, from Christian Pulisic’s iconic strike to Gio Reyna’s turbulent chapter

-
Chelsea’s Cole Palmer handed new challenge after unexpected England World Cup exclusion

-
'A complex player to assess' – Former USMNT star Stu Holden discusses Christian Pulisic’s form, U.S. World Cup ambitions, and Cristiano Ronaldo’s final run
