Top News

Jose Mourinho left stunned as Man City star Rodri picks Barcelona over Real Madrid move
Rohan Mehta | August 24, 2026 2:37 AM CST

Jose Mourinho has been left shaken after learning that Manchester City midfielder Rodri will not be joining Real Madrid this summer. The Portuguese coach had reportedly viewed the Spain international as the final missing piece in his midfield plans, only for the player to choose a switch to bitter rivals Barcelona instead.

Mourinho stunned by Rodri U-turn

The Special One is believed to have responded with “immense anger” after discovering that his top midfield target was set for Catalonia rather than the Spanish capital. According to Spanish publication SPORT, Mourinho “couldn't believe” the development, having spent a large part of the summer shaping his tactical ideas around the expected arrival of the World Cup winner.

The matter is said to have come to a head during “more than one conversation” between Mourinho and the Real Madrid board. Even though the manager pushed for a big-name alternative, the club hierarchy has reportedly told him that no more midfield signings will be made.

Tactical reshuffle forced at Valdebebas

With no new midfielder now expected to arrive, Mourinho must carry out a major rethink of his tactical structure. The revised plan involves using players already in the squad to cover the gap left by the failed pursuit. That would see Bernardo Silva and Arda Guler take on bigger responsibilities in ball progression, with Silva possibly operating in a deeper double pivot role alongside Aurelien Tchouameni.

This tactical adjustment also places major responsibility on Guler, whom Mourinho reportedly sees as a leading creative force in the style of Mesut Ozil. The coaching staff are set to use the closing weeks of pre-season at Valdebebas to test this new system, hoping the technical ability of Silva and Guler can make up for the absence of a specialist holding midfielder.

Ajax youngster emerges as alternative option

Although Real Madrid have reportedly chosen not to bring in another midfielder as a direct Rodri replacement, the club are also said to have lined up a possible €30 million fallback option in Jorthy Mokio. The 18-year-old Ajax talent has impressed Los Blancos scouts, who believe the versatile teenager has the physical qualities needed to thrive in La Liga.

Landing the Ajax prospect will not be straightforward, with the Dutch club having already tied him to a contract until 2031. Madrid are expected to wait until Rodri’s move to Barcelona is officially finalised before stepping up discussions for the Belgian youngster. The move would underline a strategic change, with the club shifting away from proven stars and towards elite teenage prospects.

Impact on the wider transfer market

Rodri’s decision to approve a move to Barcelona has also sent ripples through the wider European transfer market and affected a number of other clubs. Manchester United, now under Michael Carrick, were reportedly keeping tabs on Aurelien Tchouameni’s situation. The Red Devils had been hoping that if Real Madrid signed Rodri, Tchouameni could become available for a move to Old Trafford.

Barcelona must now work on reaching an agreement with Manchester City, although talks have already hit an early obstacle after the Premier League side rejected the Catalan club’s opening offer. With Rodri now in the final 12 months of his contract at the Etihad Stadium, Barca will have to come back with an improved bid if they want to complete the transfer. For Real Madrid, meanwhile, the attention remains on internal solutions and the possibility of a late move for Mokio.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK