Top News

Atletico Madrid boss on Barcelona-linked Julian Alvarez: ‘People are trying to create conflict’
Deepa Krishnaswamy | August 23, 2026 6:08 PM CST

Even as the summer transfer window moves into its closing phase, Julian Alvarez is still understood to be hoping for a switch from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona.

So far, though, Atletico Madrid have made their stance completely clear, with the Rojiblancos unwilling to consider any offers for the Argentina international, especially from the Blaugrana.

Alvarez did not feature in Atletico Madrid’s opening match of the 2026/27 season earlier this week after returning late to training because of his World Cup commitments.

However, head coach Diego Simeone has confirmed that the Argentine forward will be part of the squad for tomorrow’s match against Villarreal.

“Yes, he’ll be in tomorrow’s squad and he’s better. He’s progressing at his own pace. We’ll try to manage a complicated, difficult match against a tough opponent with good players,” he said.

If Alvarez had been omitted from the squad for the Villarreal game, Atletico could have avoided what might have become an awkward situation, given that the supporters have already made their feelings about the striker quite clear.

The Colchoneros are not due to play at home again until 16 September against Osasuna, with three straight away fixtures scheduled before that against Sevilla, Athletic Club and Real Sociedad.

That would have meant Alvarez returning to the Metropolitano only after the transfer window had shut, allowing him a few away matches in which to ease tensions through his performances and goals.

Instead, Atletico feel that having him available matters both from a footballing point of view and as a means of bringing the speculation to a halt.

Simeone was forceful when addressing the club’s position on Alvarez’s future, repeating the message delivered by CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin and suggesting that pro-Barcelona media were attempting to spark division.

“Let it be clear, because at a moment when people are waiting for division and trying to create conflict and uncertainty, there is no uncertainty. Miguel Angel Gil Marin spoke clearly yesterday,” he said.

Making it clear that Alvarez remains central to his plans, Simeone added: “For me, he’s an extremely important player for achieving our sporting objectives.

“We’ll be with him and look after him from a sporting perspective. Why? Because he’s our player. As long as he’s at Atletico, I’ll look after him.”

Simeone admitted that he has spoken with Alvarez, but added that he cannot truly know how the striker feels, because only the player himself knows his state of mind.

The Atletico Madrid manager also said he is convinced the club has taken the correct route with Alvarez.

“It’s difficult to say how another person feels because I’m not that person. What I see is that he’s working in the best possible way, working with his teammates and showing respect to everyone.

“I have no doubt about the path we’ve decided to take with the club, which is to build a great team. That’s our objective.”


READ NEXT
Cancel OK