Top News

Fans launch petition demanding Infantino resign as Fifa told to ‘start from scratch’
Rohan Mehta | August 21, 2026 1:28 PM CST

Supporters’ groups from around the world have started a petition calling for Gianni Infantino to resign as Fifa president, while also demanding a sweeping reform of football’s global governing body.

The campaign comes at a time when pressure is mounting on Infantino after he dropped plans to pursue private investment for a company that would have been set up to run Fifa competitions, including the men’s and women’s World Cups.

In an open letter released last week, three continental confederations accused Infantino of “deception” over the way the project had been developed and put forward. Uefa, European football’s governing body, is still intent on boycotting Fifa events after saying it has “lost confidence” in Infantino’s leadership.

Although the Swiss official continues to enjoy backing in areas such as Africa and South America, organised fan bodies are now pressing for him to step down through a petition published on the change.org platform.

Infantino is facing increasing calls to quit.

“The shameful attempt by one individual – the Fifa president himself – to sell off the World Cup to private investors exposed a betrayal football will never forget,” a statement issued on behalf of the fan organisations said.

“Infantino’s plan was stitched together in secret. Negotiated behind closed doors. Hidden from Fifa’s own members and from the millions of people whose passion makes football what it is.”

Individual supporters are being urged to add their names to the petition, which has already received support from continental and national fan groups across all six Fifa confederations.

Fan organisations see the private investment proposal as the last straw, after Fifa’s role in talks linked to the European Super League and its ticket pricing model for this summer’s men’s World Cup.

“A president who repeatedly betrays football and makes a mockery of our game has lost the right to lead it,” the statement added.

“For the credibility of Fifa – and for the future of the game – he must resign.”

The petition also demands structural reform at Fifa, including formal involvement of fans and other major football stakeholders in decisions that shape the future of the sport.

Ronan Evain, executive director of Football Supporters Europe (FSE), which backed the petition, told the Press Association: “The departure of Gianni Infantino is a first and a must, but that can only have a positive impact if it’s followed by some reform of the office and of governance.

“If a man can concentrate so many powers then the governance of Fifa is not fit for purpose.

“(Fifa) needs to start from scratch. All the reforms from 2016 have been erased or made irrelevant by Infantino. I think we need to be as open-minded as possible on the future of football governance and there are other models outside of football, outside of sport, that need to be looked into – the idea of rotating presidencies seems interesting.”

Fifa has been approached for comment.

Infantino had also tried to secure private funding for an under-15 football festival involving all 211 Fifa member associations, according to a report by The Athletic on Thursday.

That report said a proposal to hold the event in Florida was backed by Eldridge, the company founded and chaired by Chelsea co-owner and chairman Todd Boehly.

The Athletic said the proposal was dropped shortly before the men’s World Cup. In June, Fifa confirmed Azerbaijan as the first host of the Under-15 World Cup Festival. The competition, due to be played in October, will include only boys’ teams, while the 2027 edition has been earmarked exclusively for girls.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK