Former West Ham United forward Michail Antonio has spoken candidly about the serious car accident in December 2024 that ended his season and brought his time with the Hammers to a close.
Antonio is back on the field after spending several months recovering from a broken leg sustained in a car crash on his way home from training late last year.
The 35-year-old resumed driving by March and made an early return to professional football this summer, representing Jamaica at the CONCACAF Gold Cup — well ahead of the expected recovery timeline.
After being released by West Ham following the conclusion of his contract, Antonio shared that he feels 'more driven than ever' to prove himself once again on the pitch.
Now a free agent, Antonio spoke to FourFourTwo while doing punditry work at the FA Community Shield clash between Liverpool and Crystal Palace. The striker admitted he has no memory of the crash, which has made getting behind the wheel again relatively easy.
"I used to be someone who would keep pushing things aside, thinking 'I'll deal with it later'. Now, I’ve become more proactive; it made me realise that anything can happen. I was literally driving home from training and almost lost my life," the former Nottingham Forest player recalled.
He continued, "The first thing the doctor told me was that I had broken my leg, but it was something that would heal with time, and I would be able to play football again. So, I didn’t have to worry about whether I’d ever play again."
"It all came down to my effort and the hard work I put in — and I’ve always been someone who works hard. I managed to recover in half the time it usually takes others," Antonio explained.
"They told me twelve months, but I was back in training after five and a half months," he added with pride.
Antonio’s Ferrari crashed in Epping on December 7, 2024, leaving him with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. The following day, he underwent surgery in central London to repair a fractured right leg.
Earlier this summer, Liverpool forward Diogo Jota tragically lost his life in a car accident during his holiday, along with his brother Andre Silva — a heartbreaking event that shook the football community.
"It really hit me hard," Antonio admitted. "I was in the gym working on strengthening my leg with my personal physio when he showed me the news, saying, 'Have you seen this?'"
A moment of silence was observed before Sunday’s Community Shield match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace in honour of Jota and Silva. Supporters paid tribute by displaying flags and wearing shirts with Jota’s number.
Antonio added, "It threw me off completely. I couldn’t continue my workout. I just packed up and went home. It really struck me, because that could easily have been me."
After spending a decade at the London Stadium, Antonio has now moved on from West Ham and is seeking the right opportunity for the next chapter of his career — one that suits both him and his family.
"I’ve worked so much on my right leg that it’s now stronger than my left. I need to bring the left leg up to match it," he said with a smile.
"I’m back to full fitness, ready to play, and I’ve got something to prove again — and that’s what’s made me even hungrier," Antonio concluded.
-
Civil Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu Inaugurated UDAN Yatri Cafe At Ranchi Airport, Enjoyed Rs 10 Chai

-
IPL 2026: Abhishek-Ishan and Klaasen scored half-centuries, Hyderabad set the target of 256 runs for Bengaluru.

-
Delhi HC Pulls up WFI for Disallowing Vinesh Phogat to Compete in Asian Games Selection Trials

-
SRH vs RCB: 6,6,4,6…Klassen destroyed Halewood, scored 27 runs in one over.

-
Four players of Hockey Academy included in the international platform Indian Women’s Under-18 team
