New Delhi: West Bengal’s Falta assembly constituency is heading back to the polls today (May 21) following an unprecedented directive from the Election Commission.
The regulatory body ordered fresh voting for the seat after determining that the initial election suffered from grave allegations of voter subversion and democratic interference during the April 29 polling phase.
#WATCH | South 24 Parganas, West Bengal: Polling begins in Falta Assembly Constituency. Votes will be counted on May 24.
— ANI (@ANI) May 21, 2026
The re-poll across all 285 polling stations in 144-Falta Assembly Constituency, after irregularities were reported in the polling during the West Bengal… pic.twitter.com/po9IgqAGRo
The constituency had previously cast its votes on April 29, but those results were ultimately annulled by the Election Commission, paving the way for today's re-polling.
Inside the Security Blitz
As per reports, to counter previous irregularities, the Election Commission has significantly reinforced the constituency's security framework, nearly doubling the deployment of forces for the re-poll.
#WATCH | South 24 Parganas: Mock poll underway at the Falta polling station ahead of the re-polls. pic.twitter.com/SFeP7iPSzS
— ANI (@ANI) May 21, 2026
Each polling booth will now be manned by eight Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) personnel, doubling the security presence from the April 29 vote when only four personnel were stationed per booth.
According to a poll official, around 35 companies of central forces will be deployed across Falta's 285 polling booths to ensure a smooth voting process, with 30 quick response teams standing by to handle any disturbances immediately.
Furthermore, the Election Commission has heavily tightened surveillance by installing three web cameras per booth—two inside and one outside—to provide live webcasting of the polling process and its surrounding areas.
Why Falta Votes Again
The Election Commission stated that reports from observers highlighted concerns regarding voter intimidation, the presence of unauthorized individuals inside polling stations, and potential evidence of tampering.
Officials said the Commission reviewed detailed submissions from ground-level authorities, observers and available records after declaring earlier poll 'void'.
#BreakingNews | EC announces fresh polls in all polling booths in Falta assembly on May 21.
— Republic (@republic) May 2, 2026
Republic breaks down the implications
Tune in for more LIVE updates: https://t.co/5qfdKd0YjD#RepublicWorld #RepublicTV #RepublicNews #IndiaNews #LiveNews #RepublicExclusive… pic.twitter.com/hFH87QQLbc
On the polling day, BJPs Debangshu Panda alleged that at Falta's booth number 177, the EVM button corresponding to the BJP candidate had been obstructed with adhesive tape. After central security forces arrived and cleared the tape, the voting process was allowed to continue.
Subsequently, Amit Malviya, the head of the BJP's IT cell, posted a video on X (formerly Twitter) alleging that white adhesive tape had been used to obscure the party's symbol at booth numbers 144 and 189 in Falta. Citing these irregularities, he called for an immediate re-poll in the constituency.
The complaints also cited buttons being marked with adhesive substances, ink, black tape, and even perfume, alongside booth jamming and rigging. West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Manoj Kumar Agarwal said that any booth where taping of EVM buttons was verified would undergo repolling, stating, “If reports of taping of any button come in, that should be verified and noted. If true, those booths will go for a repoll”.
#WATCH | West Bengal Elections 2026 | South 24 Parganas: Locals protest in Falta area, alleging that TMC leaders are threatening them. Security personnel are deployed here. pic.twitter.com/MpQSE96Ihj
— ANI (@ANI) May 2, 2026
As per reports, following scrutiny by special observer Subrata Gupta, the EC found that irregularities were not isolated. Out of 77 complaints of EVM tampering from four constituencies, 32 were from Falta alone.
The observers also flagged disturbing findings, including CCTV cameras being switched off in multiple polling stations, preventing real-time monitoring. Invoking Section 58(2) of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, the Commission declared the April 29 polling in Falta void and ordered repolling across all 285 stations to ensure a free and fair election.
Candidate Who Walked Away
In a surprising twist, Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate Jahangir Khan pulled out of the Falta re-poll contest on Tuesday, pointing to the special package announced for the constituency by West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari as his reason for withdrawing.
This is what Mamata Banerjee was defending when she spoke up for Jehangir Khan, a criminal contesting on a TMC ticket from Falta in Diamond Harbour.
— Amit Malviya (@amitmalviya) April 29, 2026
In several polling booths, the option to vote for the BJP has been blocked using a tape, effectively preventing voters from… pic.twitter.com/sKw3mcdA86
Khan said, "I would want Falta to stay peaceful, healthy, and good. And I want more and more development for Falta. So let there be a Golden Falta, that was my dream. That's why our Chief Minister is giving a special package for the development of Falta. For that reason, I am withdrawing from the upcoming repoll contest on May 21."
While Jahangir Khan publicly claimed he withdrew because of the Chief Minister's promises of a "special package" for Falta, TMC has distanced itself from the decision, terming it a personal choice made under "pressure".
What BJP has to say
Debangshu Panda, the BJP candidate for Falta, expressed absolute certainty about winning today's re-poll, predicting a sweeping victory for his party by a margin of 100,000 to 150,000 votes.
Speaking to the media, Panda alleged that extensive voting irregularities- including booth manipulation and voter intimidation- had plagued parts of the constituency during the initial election. He noted that the Election Commission ordered the May 21 re-poll directly in response to formal complaints lodged by the BJP.
#WATCH | South 24 Parganas, West Bengal: BJP candidate from Falta Assembly constituency, Debangshu Panda says, "We had petitioned for re-polling in the 150 booths where cellotape was put on the BJP symbol... They even rotated cameras in some of the booths... Yesterday, they made… pic.twitter.com/ACpaEivd9l
— ANI (@ANI) May 3, 2026
"We had petitioned for re-polling in the 150 booths where tape was placed over the BJP symbol... They even rotated cameras in some of the booths... Yesterday, they made a decision on our demand and declared a repoll on 21st May... In Falta, the BJP will win by a margin of 1-1.5 lakhs votes," Panda stated.
"Jhukenge nahi" to "I am leaving" charge
After Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate Jahangir Khan announced the withdrawal of his candidature from Falta ahead of repolling, CM Suvendu Adhikari mocked Khan with his self-styled name "Pushpa", while stating that Khan would not have won in the re-elections anyway.
"You were so close to Bhaipo (nephew). You would not have won. Pushpa had said, "Jhukenge nahi." Today, Pushpa is saying, "I am leaving."...After 10 years, you have received this opportunity to vote. We need your votes 100%. This CM will do everything for you," he said.
West Bengal Assembly Elections | Issues reported at polling booths, voting halted for 30 minutes at Diamond Harbour amid re-poll.
— Republic (@republic) May 2, 2026
Tune in to LIVE TV for fastest #BREAKING alerts - https://t.co/rIH3Ze1QWF#WestBengalElection #RepublicWorld #RepublicTV #RepublicNews pic.twitter.com/gpigO4WE5E
When will voting take place?
The voting has begus across all 285 booths in the Falta Assembly constituency. With the ruling BJP looking to consolidate its new grip on the state and the TMC fighting to protect its traditional bastion in the Diamond Harbour belt, all eyes remain fixed on Falta’s voters today.
-
Matthias Sammer’s Tough Verdict on DFB Goalkeeper Debate: 'Those Who Cry Should Stay Home'

-
World Cup 2026 Schedule: Get Your Free Google and iCal Calendar with Match Timings in BST

-
Quiz Challenge: Can You Recall Every Ballon d'Or Top Three Since 1992?

-
Michael Carrick can earn permanent Manchester United role by defeating Liverpool – but the fans' favourite still has much to master for lasting success at Old Trafford

-
Iran studies new US proposal as Trump says talks are ‘on the borderline’
