Top News

‘It Wasn’t Easy!’ – Neymar Reveals He ‘Cried for Hours’ After Brazil’s World Cup Selection and Thanks Santos for Support
Deepa Krishnaswamy | May 20, 2026 10:39 PM CST

Neymar has shared the deep emotions he experienced upon making his return to the international stage, admitting that he broke down in tears after being named in Brazil’s squad for the 2026 World Cup. The Santos forward reflected on his long and difficult recovery from injury and the determination it took to earn a place once again in Carlo Ancelotti’s plans.


‘I cried for several hours’


After his name was confirmed on Ancelotti’s final World Cup roster, Neymar spoke to Santos TV about the overwhelming feelings that came with the news. The Santos No.10, who was sidelined for months following a serious injury sustained in October 2023, described the announcement as a moment of immense relief and gratitude for all the hard work put into his rehabilitation.


“I cried for several hours; it wasn’t easy to get here. When my name was announced, I knew that all the effort to push through the challenges had been worth it,” said the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain player.


Santos’ vital role in his comeback


Returning to the club where his career began, Neymar emphasised how the environment at Santos played a crucial role in helping him regain his form. He credited the support he received at the Rei Pelé Training Centre for making it possible to dream of representing the Brazilian national team again, describing the club as his refuge during one of the hardest phases of his journey.


“For me, as I’ve always said since coming back, I feel at home here. It’s something that’s hard to explain,” he expressed. “I want to thank everyone. This call-up isn’t just mine—it belongs to everyone involved in the process, everyone who trained with me, supported me off the pitch, ensured our safety, and looked after our health and nutrition.”


Focused on global success


Despite his legendary status and his long-standing contribution to the national team, Neymar understands that earning a starting spot in the 2026 World Cup will not come automatically. Ancelotti has already indicated that no player’s past achievements will guarantee them a place, highlighting the fierce competition expected within the squad during their preparatory phase in the United States.


Nonetheless, Neymar remains confident and committed to the collective goal. “Thank you for the faith and constant support. I’m grateful to everyone who has believed in me throughout my career. We’re united as one Brazil, chasing that sixth World Cup title,” he stated.


What’s next for Brazil?


Brazil’s training camp will begin at Granja Comary in Teresópolis, before the full squad assembles in the United States. Players including Marquinhos, Gabriel Magalhães, and Gabriel Martinelli will link up with the team after the UEFA Champions League final between PSG and Arsenal. The Seleção’s final pre-departure fixture will be a friendly against Panama at the Maracanã on May 31.


Once in the U.S., Brazil will be based in New Jersey. As the top seed in Group C, they will face Egypt in a final warm-up match before launching their World Cup campaign on June 13 against Morocco. The five-time world champions will then meet Haiti in Philadelphia and wrap up the group stage against Scotland in Miami.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK