
Listen to this article in summarized format
Loading...
×TMC candidate Jahangir Khan on Tuesday withdrew from the race only hours before campaigning for the repoll was scheduled to end, setting off political speculation across West Bengal.
His exit comes after weeks of controversy around the constituency, where the Election Commission had earlier cancelled the entire voting process and ordered fresh polling following allegations of “severe electoral offences and subversion of the democratic process.”
While Khan publicly explained why he stepped away, the TMC later issued its own sharply worded response — and the two narratives quickly became the centre of attention.
“I am the son of Falta, and I want the area to be at peace and grow,” he said.
“The CM has announced a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I have decided to move away from the re-polling process in the constituency,” he added.
His remarks immediately sparked discussion because the withdrawal came so close to polling day in a constituency already under intense political scrutiny.
“The decision taken by Jahangir Khan to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is his personal decision and not that of the party,” the party said in a statement on X.
The party then alleged that the atmosphere in the constituency had become increasingly hostile after the election results were declared on May 4.
“More than 100 of our party workers have been arrested in Falta AC alone,” the statement said.
The TMC also alleged that “several party offices have been vandalised, shut down and forcibly captured in broad daylight through intimidation.”
Even while asserting that its workers remained “rock-solid,” the party hinted that pressure may have played a role in some leaders stepping away.
“However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field. We strongly condemn this,” the statement added.
According to the commission, the decision followed reports of “severe electoral offences and large-scale subversion of the democratic process.”
Observer reports flagged multiple alleged irregularities during polling, including:
Repolling in Falta is scheduled for May 21, while counting of votes will take place on May 24.
(With TOI and PTI inputs)
His exit comes after weeks of controversy around the constituency, where the Election Commission had earlier cancelled the entire voting process and ordered fresh polling following allegations of “severe electoral offences and subversion of the democratic process.”
While Khan publicly explained why he stepped away, the TMC later issued its own sharply worded response — and the two narratives quickly became the centre of attention.
Why did Jahangir Khan withdraw from the Falta repoll?
Addressing a press conference after withdrawing his candidature, Jahangir Khan said his decision was driven by Falta’s future and the promise of development for the constituency.“I am the son of Falta, and I want the area to be at peace and grow,” he said.
“The CM has announced a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I have decided to move away from the re-polling process in the constituency,” he added.
His remarks immediately sparked discussion because the withdrawal came so close to polling day in a constituency already under intense political scrutiny.
What did TMC say after Jahangir Khan pulled out?
Soon after Khan’s announcement, the TMC clarified that the withdrawal was not the party’s decision.“The decision taken by Jahangir Khan to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is his personal decision and not that of the party,” the party said in a statement on X.
The party then alleged that the atmosphere in the constituency had become increasingly hostile after the election results were declared on May 4.
“More than 100 of our party workers have been arrested in Falta AC alone,” the statement said.
The TMC also alleged that “several party offices have been vandalised, shut down and forcibly captured in broad daylight through intimidation.”
Even while asserting that its workers remained “rock-solid,” the party hinted that pressure may have played a role in some leaders stepping away.
“However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field. We strongly condemn this,” the statement added.
Why was repolling ordered in Falta constituency?
Repolling in Falta was ordered after the Election Commission cancelled the original voting conducted on April 29 across all 285 polling stations in the constituency.According to the commission, the decision followed reports of “severe electoral offences and large-scale subversion of the democratic process.”
Observer reports flagged multiple alleged irregularities during polling, including:
- Alleged EVM tampering
- Voter intimidation
- Polling norm violations
- Allegations of unauthorised individuals entering booths and casting votes
- Missing or inconsistent video footage from polling stations
Repolling in Falta is scheduled for May 21, while counting of votes will take place on May 24.
(With TOI and PTI inputs)






