Top News

Rapid firing outside US mosque, 5 killed
Samira Vishwas | May 24, 2026 8:24 AM CST

The firing incident that took place outside the Islamic Center of San Diego in San Diego, California on Monday spread panic in the entire area. In this attack, five people including a security guard of the mosque were killed, and many people are said to be injured. Police say that two teenage attackers opened fire outside the mosque and the case is being investigated as a hate crime.

During the incident, the children present in the mosque premises were taken out safely with the help of armed policemen. At the same time, there was an atmosphere of chaos among the families standing outside and people were seen worried to get information about their children. Within a short time, this Islamic center, counted among the major mosques of San Diego, became the center of police investigation.

What is the whole matter?

The attack occurred on May 18 in the Clairemont area, which is located about eight miles north of downtown San Diego. According to the police, five people died in the firing. The security guard of the mosque is also included among the dead. Both the suspects were later found dead in a car parked near the mosque.

Islamic Center of San Diego is considered to be the largest mosque in San Diego County. A school named Bright Horizon Academy also runs in the same campus, where children from pre-kindergarten to third grade study.

What did Donald Trump say?

Donald Trump said regarding this attack that he (officials) will give a briefing in this matter. But, this is a very terrible situation. We will revisit this attack and investigate it strictly.

What did the police say?

Police officials said the suspects were 17 and 19 years old. Due to the ongoing investigation, his identity has not been made public yet. FBI San Diego Special Agent Mark Remilli said that after police arrived at the scene, the bomb squad examined the suspicious car and declared it safe.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wall said the initial investigation suggests both suspects shot themselves. During the investigation it also came to light that the police was informed about the missing of a teenager about two hours before the shooting.

What information did the mother of the attackers give?

At around 9:42 in the morning, the suspect’s mother had called the police and informed that her son was missing from the house and he had also taken weapons and a car from the house. The woman also said that her son was struggling with suicidal thoughts and it was possible that he was with a friend. According to officials, both the youths were wearing military style clothes. Scott Wall said a suspect came out of his home carrying three weapons.

What was written in the suicide note?

During the investigation, the police also found a suicide note of a suspect, in which messages to racial superiority and racial pride were written. Apart from this, hate words have also been found on a weapon used in the incident. However, the police have not yet made those words public.

Scott Wall said, “We are currently investigating those messages and words. But it is clear that hate language was used in it. Therefore, this matter is currently being investigated as a hate crime.” Investigators have also linked a suspect to San Diego’s Madison High School, which is located about a mile from the mosque.

However, the police say that so far no direct evidence has been found to prove that the attack was specifically targeting this Islamic centre. According to officials, the suspects’ messages contained widespread hate speech, but did not make specific threats against any one location.

He said, “Given the location of the Islamic Centre, we started the investigation considering this incident as a possible hate crime from the beginning. Unless any other facts come to light, it will be treated as a hate crime.

How did the security guard stop the attack?

Officials believe that the mosque’s security guards played an important role in preventing the attack from becoming more dangerous. Scott Wall said that if the security guard had not shown activeness on the spot, the situation could have been more serious. According to the police, the security guard stood adamant at the main gate and did not allow the attackers to enter. “We feel that because of the security guards, the situation was controlled to a great extent and the violence was limited to the front part of the mosque,” Wal said.

The FBI and the local police are now jointly investigating the entire matter. Investigative agencies are collecting evidence from the incident site and trying to find out the entire reason behind the attack.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK