
Tulsi Gabbard has resigned as US Director of National Intelligence (DNI), saying she was stepping down to support her husband, who has been diagnosed with an “extremely rare form of bone cancer.”
Gabbard announced her resignation in a letter addressed to President Donald Trump and later posted it publicly on X. Her resignation will take effect on June 30, 2026.
“I am deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half,” Gabbard wrote in the letter dated May 22.
“Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026. My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer,” she said.
Gabbard said her husband faced “major challenges in the coming weeks and months” and that she needed to step away from public service to fully support him during treatment.
“At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle,” she wrote.
Describing Abraham as her “rock” throughout their 11 years of marriage, Gabbard said he had stood by her through military deployment, political campaigns and her tenure in office.
“I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming position,” she added.
Fox News Digital had earlier reported that Gabbard informed Trump of her decision during a meeting in the Oval Office on Friday.
Trump later confirmed her resignation in a post on Truth Social, praising Gabbard’s work in the administration.
“After having done a great job, Tulsi Gabbard will be leaving the Administration on June 30th,” Trump wrote, adding that she “rightfully” wanted to be with her husband as the couple fought “a tough battle together.”
The US President said Gabbard had done an “incredible job” and announced that Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence Aaron Lukas would serve as Acting DNI.
Gabbard also said she remained committed to ensuring a “smooth and thorough transition” and highlighted efforts undertaken during her tenure, including measures aimed at increasing transparency and restoring integrity within the intelligence community.
Gabbard announced her resignation in a letter addressed to President Donald Trump and later posted it publicly on X. Her resignation will take effect on June 30, 2026.
“I am deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half,” Gabbard wrote in the letter dated May 22.
“Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026. My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer,” she said.
Gabbard said her husband faced “major challenges in the coming weeks and months” and that she needed to step away from public service to fully support him during treatment.
“At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle,” she wrote.
Describing Abraham as her “rock” throughout their 11 years of marriage, Gabbard said he had stood by her through military deployment, political campaigns and her tenure in office.
“I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming position,” she added.
Gabbard also said she remained committed to ensuring a “smooth and thorough transition” and highlighted efforts undertaken during her tenure, including measures aimed at increasing transparency and restoring integrity within the intelligence community.
Fox News Digital had earlier reported that Gabbard informed Trump of her decision during a meeting in the Oval Office on Friday.
Trump later confirmed her resignation in a post on Truth Social, praising Gabbard’s work in the administration.
“After having done a great job, Tulsi Gabbard will be leaving the Administration on June 30th,” Trump wrote, adding that she “rightfully” wanted to be with her husband as the couple fought “a tough battle together.”
The US President said Gabbard had done an “incredible job” and announced that Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence Aaron Lukas would serve as Acting DNI.
US President Donald Trump on Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
In Video:
'I must step away…': Tulsi Gabbard quits Trump Cabinet as husband Abraham battles rare bone cancer




