Top News

‘We won’t stand for this!’ – Barcelona president Joan Laporta hits back at Florentino Perez’s ‘grotesque’ remarks and accuses Real Madrid chief of deflecting from club’s failures
Sameer Bhatia | May 23, 2026 12:14 AM CST

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has issued a strong rebuttal to Real Madrid counterpart Florentino Perez, labelling his recent comments about the Negreira case as “grotesque.” Laporta argued that the accusations from Madrid were nothing more than an attempt to distract from Los Blancos’ failure to win major trophies over the past two seasons.

Laporta responds to Perez’s Negreira remarks

Laporta delivered a scathing reply to Perez’s recent statements. During a press conference announcing his bid for re-election, Perez alleged that the Negreira affair had resulted in titles being “stolen” from Real Madrid. In response, Laporta accused him of trying to shift focus away from Madrid’s lack of recent success.

The Barcelona president made it clear that his club would not tolerate unsubstantiated claims. He also acknowledged that relations between the two Spanish giants have worsened amid the ongoing investigation into refereeing matters. Perez had previously admitted that the relationship between the clubs was “completely broken.”

Laporta calls Perez’s tactics ‘grotesque’

Laporta did not conceal his irritation when addressing Perez’s remarks and the handling of the Negreira controversy by Real Madrid.

“I think it was grotesque, but it had a strategy,” Laporta said, as quoted by Marca. “The strategy I mentioned... it was meant to divert attention from two years without winning anything, and this has them very worried.

“They have to justify the unjustifiable somehow, and the easiest way is to create a stir and attack Barcelona. We’re not going to allow this. I’m sure the club will respond.”

Laporta vows a ‘firm’ response

Laporta further suggested that Real Madrid’s fixation on Barcelona stems from insecurity within the club. He emphasised that his administration would respond decisively if Los Blancos attempted to use Barcelona to mask their own shortcomings.

He said: “As long as they don’t use Barca to hide their problems, I respect him. But when they use Barca, we respond. In that press conference, they tried to use Barca in a grotesque way, spreading lies about certain matters, saying things that aren’t true. I’m not going to comment on the rest, because I don’t care what they say in Madrid or about Real Madrid. When they talk about Barca, we react firmly. Vice-president Yuste came out and described that press conference, and I agree with him.”

Barcelona brace for further fallout

Barcelona are expected to continue publicly defending their stance as tensions with Real Madrid escalate. Laporta has already made it clear that the club will issue strong responses to any claims deemed false or damaging. The ongoing dispute is likely to intensify scrutiny around the Negreira case and add pressure on both clubs, both on and off the pitch.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK