Germany’s national team coach Julian Nagelsmann has shed light on Manuel Neuer's return to the DFB squad, sharing detailed insights during the official team selection press conference.
“In my opinion, the key responsibility is to choose the three best goalkeepers in the country for the World Cup,” Nagelsmann stated. According to him, that list includes Oliver Baumann, who had been the first-choice goalkeeper during the World Cup qualifiers, Alexander Nübel, and Bayern Munich’s 40-year-old captain, Manuel Neuer.
“That’s why we decided to reach out to him to see if he wanted to represent the national team again,” Nagelsmann explained. Interestingly, the initiative for the comeback came from Nagelsmann and not from Neuer himself, who had earlier declared his retirement after Euro 2024.
The idea of recalling Neuer was first discussed earlier this year after first-choice World Cup goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen sustained another injury shortly after his return for FC Girona. “I didn’t note the exact date, so I can’t confirm it precisely,” Nagelsmann said. “But we informed Olli in March that I had spoken with Manuel after Marc ter Stegen’s injury and briefed him about the situation, because Manu has earned great respect.”
According to Nagelsmann, Neuer’s contract renewal with Bayern Munich was a key “prerequisite” for his inclusion.
Over the following weeks, Neuer produced several impressive performances—particularly in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid—although he also committed some notable errors in the return leg.
Nagelsmann mentioned that Neuer’s playing form was not the only consideration. His contract status was equally important: “What’s happening with his deal? Is he even planning to continue playing? He made the decision to extend his Bayern contract quite late. For us, that was essential—we needed clarity on his future.” The coach admitted that it might seem surprising to treat this as a “prerequisite,” especially with the World Cup starting immediately after the domestic season ends.
Neuer signed his new Bayern contract, which runs until 2027, only last Friday. This came after the initial squad announcement date of May 12 had been moved up by nine days to Thursday. This means the final call regarding Neuer’s return came at the last moment. Nagelsmann later justified the decision by citing not only Neuer’s performances and contract extension but also his natural leadership qualities.
Julian Nagelsmann highlighted Manuel Neuer’s “aura”
“I don’t have what Manu has, and even Olli has less of it. He’s got a massive collection of titles, an unmatched aura, and an incredible reputation,” Nagelsmann said. The coach also mentioned that he made sure Baumann did not feel overlooked in their discussions.
Nagelsmann believes Neuer’s unique presence and influence could still be vital for Germany as they prepare for a potential fifth World Cup appearance, even if injuries become a challenge. Neuer has already missed four matches this season due to muscle issues. In Bayern’s recent 5-1 win over 1. FC Köln, he limped off with a left calf problem and is doubtful for the DFB Cup final against VfB Stuttgart.
“Manu helps the team every time he’s on the pitch. But there have been spells when he hasn’t played, and that could happen again. We can’t ignore that; we must take it into account,” Nagelsmann remarked. “If we get to play multiple matches, that’s fantastic. But if he misses one due to injury, then Olli is there—he’s a top goalkeeper who proved himself during the World Cup qualifiers.”
Baumann, whom Nagelsmann described as a “world-class second-choice option,” admitted that the decisive phone call informing him of the decision was “a tough blow.” He added, “Over the last four weeks, as this topic gained momentum, Olli has found it hard. Still, he remains fully dedicated to never letting the team down.”
Jonas Urbig will join the squad as the training goalkeeper for the World Cup.
Nübel will serve as the third-choice goalkeeper behind Neuer and Baumann, while the young Jonas Urbig travels as a specialist training goalkeeper. “We want a fourth goalkeeper in our training sessions—someone who throws himself into every challenge and gives everything he has,” Nagelsmann explained. “The players often want to keep shooting for another 45 minutes after training—it’s not always allowed, but sometimes it is. So having more goalkeepers helps share the workload.”
The 22-year-old Bayern Munich reserve is known for his energetic personality and positive influence on the group. Should an injury occur during the tournament in Qatar, Nagelsmann already has a ready replacement available, avoiding the need to fly in an extra player from Germany.
-
Manchester United told Andre Onana to find a new club this summer: Report

-
Manchester United seal £62.5m deal for Matheus Cunha on five-year contract as Brazilian forward fulfils lifelong dream

-
Why Aston Villa Will Feature a Charity Logo on Their Shirt in the Europa League Final

-
'Easy call!' – Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall completes £25m switch from Chelsea to Everton after one year at Stamford Bridge

-
Angry Erik ten Hag Stops Granit Xhaka’s Bayer Leverkusen Exit After Sunderland Deal, Says ‘No More Departures’
