Top News

Fear of Ebola in America, Air France’s Detroit flight diverted to Canada
Samira Vishwas | May 21, 2026 1:24 PM CST

Washington. The fear regarding Ebola is clearly visible in America. Due to this, an Air France flight going from Paris to Detroit (Michigan) on Wednesday had to be diverted towards Montreal (Canada). In fact, this flight caused a sensation due to non-compliance of American sanctions to the Ebola outbreak. Everyone was shocked to learn that one of the passengers of this flight was from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

According to the report of CBS News, in this regard, a spokesperson of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said that it is Air France’s fault. Air France had mistakenly boarded that passenger on its plane bound for America. He said restrictions on flights have been implemented to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus. According to them, that passenger should not have boarded the plane. Because of this the flight was prevented from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. After this the flight was diverted towards Montreal, Canada.

A CBP spokesperson could not say when the man was last in Congo. And whether he was showing symptoms of Ebola virus. Air France Flight 378, which departed from Paris-Charles de Gaulle International Airport, landed at Montreal Trudeau International Airport at 5:15 p.m. (Eastern Time), according to flight tracking website Flight Aware. No information was available about the condition of the passenger who came from Congo. It was also not clear whether the flight would continue to Detroit carrying the remaining passengers.

Federal officials announced Monday that people who do not have a U.S. passport and have traveled to Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the past three weeks will be barred from entering the country. The Department of Homeland Security confirmed that the restrictions will apply to all flights starting Thursday. All such flights will have to land at Washington-Dulles International Airport in Virginia only. All passengers will be screened here.

The Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo was confirmed by the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on May 15. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that at least 600 suspected cases of Ebola have been reported so far, including 139 suspected deaths caused by the virus. US health officials say that this new outbreak of Ebola is linked to the ‘Bundibugyo strain’. There is no approved vaccine or treatment available for this yet.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK