Washington Crime News: A first‑grade teacher in Washington state has been arrested after her husband reported her for allegedly sexually abusing a 16‑year‑old high school student. Authorities identified the suspect as 25‑year‑old Mackenzie Naught, who now faces charges of sexual misconduct with a minor. The incident was reported to have occurred in the early morning hours of May 4, 2026, in St. John, a town about 50 miles south of Spokane.
Mackenzie, who was taken into custody, initially told police that she and the teen student, identified as "J.D." in records, had just kissed but then changed her story and said they "had sex," PEOPLE reported, citing the probable cause affidavit.
Affidavit reveals sequence of events
The affidavit further alleged that the night before the incident occurred, J.D. stated that he had been texting with Mackenzie and her husband Garrett on Snapchat.
According to an affidavit, after Garrett fell asleep, J.D. and Mackenzie continued exchanging text messages. The minor allegedly told investigators that the 16‑year‑old agreed to meet Mackenzie. J.D. later picked Mackenzie up in his truck and drove her to a secluded area.
The two began kissing, and the teenager told investigators that Mackenzie attempted several times to initiate sexual activity, but those attempts were unsuccessful. J.D. said he did "put it in" at some point but quickly "pulled out" because he was uncomfortable and drove Mackenzie home, the affidavit claimed.
Police say Garrett and Mackenzie Naught told officers their four‑year marriage had been troubled by infidelity. Garrett explained that he checked his wife’s phone and discovered her messages with J.D. that night. He confronted the teenager, who admitted to the conduct, and Mackenzie also acknowledged it when questioned by her husband. Garrett then contacted authorities to report the incident.
Mackenzie tried to deny sexual abuse claims
The affidavit revealed that Mackenzie initially denied sexually abusing the teenager when she was first taken into custody. Investigators said J.D. later gave a forensic interview and provided police with a tracking device that corroborated his account of the night in question.
Mackenzie has entered a not‑guilty plea and is scheduled to stand trial in July, where she faces up to five years in prison if convicted.
Mackenzie, who was taken into custody, initially told police that she and the teen student, identified as "J.D." in records, had just kissed but then changed her story and said they "had sex," PEOPLE reported, citing the probable cause affidavit.
Affidavit reveals sequence of events
The affidavit further alleged that the night before the incident occurred, J.D. stated that he had been texting with Mackenzie and her husband Garrett on Snapchat.
According to an affidavit, after Garrett fell asleep, J.D. and Mackenzie continued exchanging text messages. The minor allegedly told investigators that the 16‑year‑old agreed to meet Mackenzie. J.D. later picked Mackenzie up in his truck and drove her to a secluded area.
The two began kissing, and the teenager told investigators that Mackenzie attempted several times to initiate sexual activity, but those attempts were unsuccessful. J.D. said he did "put it in" at some point but quickly "pulled out" because he was uncomfortable and drove Mackenzie home, the affidavit claimed.
Police say Garrett and Mackenzie Naught told officers their four‑year marriage had been troubled by infidelity. Garrett explained that he checked his wife’s phone and discovered her messages with J.D. that night. He confronted the teenager, who admitted to the conduct, and Mackenzie also acknowledged it when questioned by her husband. Garrett then contacted authorities to report the incident.
Mackenzie tried to deny sexual abuse claims
The affidavit revealed that Mackenzie initially denied sexually abusing the teenager when she was first taken into custody. Investigators said J.D. later gave a forensic interview and provided police with a tracking device that corroborated his account of the night in question.
Mackenzie has entered a not‑guilty plea and is scheduled to stand trial in July, where she faces up to five years in prison if convicted.




