Top News

Ex-top royal cop breaks silence as King Charles's guards 'sleep on the job'
Reach Daily Express | May 19, 2026 1:39 AM CST

The former head of royal protection has furiously responded to the shocking claim that armed guards at Windsor Castle have been falling asleep on the job. It is understood that up to 30 individuals from the Met's Royalty and Specialist Protection team are currently facing investigation for misconduct.

The news comes on the heels of several worrying security breaches across the estate. Following further claims that some team members clocked in for duty but failed to attend their posts, the former head of Scotland Yard's Royalty Protection Command has labelled the situation "totally unacceptable".

Dai Davies, who was head of the Royal Protection Command between 1994 and 1998, called for the individuals to be sacked if they are found guilty.

"If it's true and the allegations are sustained and proved, then those guilty should be disciplined or sacked," Mr Davies exclusively told the Express. "Supervision should be reviewed. It is totally unacceptable.

"And, given the current threat level, all royal palaces should be tightly guarded, and those charged with protecting all the royals and their palace homes and movements should be on high alert."

The worrying update comes after three serious incidents have occurred in and around the castle grounds. In June last year, an intruder in his 30s climbed a wall and was arrested on suspicion of trespassing and possession of Class-A drugs. Meanwhile, a crossbow-wielding man broke in on Christmas Day in 2021, declaring that he was there to "kill the Queen."

Other serious security scares include thieves taking a pick-up truck and a quad bike from an estate farm and using them to smash through a security gate near the Prince and Princess of Wales's former home, Adelaide Cottage, in October 2024.

A source told The Sun: "I've heard one allegation suggests someone clocking on for duty and then not turning up at their post. It's an embarrassment for the police, as well as exposing a potential security breach.

"These are serious allegations which could lead to officers being suspended and placed under investigation for misconduct and dereliction of duty."

The Met further confirmed in a statement: "Our Directorate of Professional Standards has launched an urgent investigation following concerns raised regarding the conduct of a number of officers on protective duties at Windsor Castle.

"The allegations include officers leaving posts unattended and sleeping while on duty. The alleged behaviour falls below the high standards expected of officers, particularly in frontline protective roles. The Independent Office for Police Conduct has been informed and concluded that this matter will be investigated locally by the Met.

"As part of their enquiries, DPS is assessing whether any of those under investigation should be placed on restricted duties. A decision is expected to be made on this before the end of next week."


READ NEXT
Cancel OK